New competitor to D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 07:10:02 UTC 2022

On Friday, 22 July 2022 at 05:39:22 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> This is one of the reasons why clang is now third in ISO C++
> support, and since no other compiler vendor that enjoys clang,
> seems willing to step into Apple (focused on Swift/Objective-C)
> or Google's previous roles, it doesn't look like it will change.

Apple tutorials use Objective-C++, but I think they view it as a
support language for Swift.

Maybe GPL is the better license for programming languages... gcc
could benefit from clang being wiped out.

> Meanwhile those previous clang contributors are now having fun
> tailoring Carbon as they wish instead of fighting for their
> papers at ISO.

But they are not very good at it... They are going to end up with
some of D’s problems. They need an external qualified reviewer.

Also only support for C++17 as a stated goal does not make you a
C++ successor outside of big business legacy code bases.