version(number) is completely useless

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Jul 23 03:03:06 UTC 2022

On 7/22/2022 5:33 PM, Hipreme wrote:
> But, how one would approach when the feature is version dependent? This becomes
> a lot harder to reason about, the version number could mean anything. Specially
> approaching bindings, which other languages already has that convention of
> making/not making available functions based on version, it becomes even harder
> when this function can be enabled/disabled and is even build version dependent

New versions are not just numbers. They are an arbitrary collection of new
features and modified features. Nobody, not even the author, will remember which
feature goes with which version number.

My recommendation is to use version identifiers for each of those features that
changed that matter to your program. It's rarely more than a handful. It'll make
your code a pleasure to read, too.