New competitor to D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 17:03:40 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 23 July 2022 at 15:47:40 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
> Modern C++ has the same problem as D
>
> They think language features should be in `std::` and removing
> features should be forbidden

So… an important concept in language design is to keep the core
language minimal and try to implement as much as possible as
library constructs. This isn't specific to D or C++, this is a
core language design principle.

Some languages are more explorative in nature… C++ and D falls
into this category. So they accumulate some bloat by not adhering
to the idea of having a minimal core language. Then you end up in
a situation where you want to make a major revision after some
years once you have figured out what the core language ought to
be.

Until there is consensus on the minimal language then things will
not change significantly.

> Which is why Carbon is interesting, at least to me, that
> doesn't mean i'll use it, since i have 0 interest in C++

Well, it is easy for the Carbon designers to say that they will
break things with a light heart now, but that is not really an
appealing property, so it remains to see what that means in
practice.