New competitor to D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 13:31:00 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 26 July 2022 at 13:09:03 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
> Throwing C is the worst one can do

Because? There is nothing particularly interesting about C,
except very poor typing.

Besides, they already did this, you cannot increment pointers for
instance.

> Throwing C++ too is not the right way to go

Well, they did this too. They interop with it, but they do it in
such a way that they have the option to phase it out in a later
version, if my reading between the lines is correct.

> The proper way to do is following Kotlin's success, embracing
> it to then do your own thing

Kotlin's success is Android, but the JVM environment is a
completely different setting.

I guess you could say this is like Objective-C/Swift, but I
suspect that Apple will phase out Objective-C eventually.

> The problem is most languages can't get past "embracing C", and
> they are stuck with it

C is a big bleeding wound in your type system.

> I feel you guys put too much emotions in your analysis, same
> with Go

In what way? I observe what they do, what they say and how the
wider programming community responds… There are no emotions
involved.

What they have said is that Google has one team looking at
integrating C++ with Rust. Then they have the Carbon team going
the other way, from C++ towards something closer to Rust, and
this is experimental.

At this stage, this probably is tagged as research and not
development, that is my guess. They put a lot of emphasis on
experimental, they would not do that if they had been allocated
40+ developers. So I guess they have to prove that this is a
project that should move from research to development by showing
industry interest or something like that? It isn't obvious that
this is an initiative from high level managers, probably the
other way around, don't you think?