Why is D unpopular?

Antonio antonio at abrevia.net
Wed Jun 1 09:02:34 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 1 June 2022 at 06:14:43 UTC, bauss wrote:

> I use it mainly for web development, web services and just
> integrations with external systems.

- What libraries do you use? (I'm curious).

I will begin soon a new "small" internal web project and team is
"pushing" me to abandon node/typescript in favor of Rust.  I will
give D a new opportunity (http REST + basic ORM/Mapper over
Postgress + RabbitMQ + Rest services integration).

I actually use D for scripting tasks and team doesn't understand
why I'm not using python... "D code syntax is expressive, quickly
compiled and statically typed. It has well OS integration, formal
verification with pre/post conditions and easy unittests... " vs
"python is used everywhere by everybody and you have a lot of
libraries for everything, including OpenCV in the last version...
just use it".

Now, I face to "If you really want a statically typed language
flexible enough, use Rust like everybody does... if Linux can
introduce Rust as a secondary language, we can too.  There is a
great community support with up to date well maintained and
stable libraries for everything".

2 years ago I decided not to use Rust (nor D either) as main
language (Rust expressiveness is a joke compared with D... but D
stability on my ubuntu running hunt or vibe.d was a complete
disaster).

Sorry for the sobs :-p... just wanted to understand how other
people can deal with such obvious arguments in favor of other
alternatives ("Mainly: everybody does... your needs will be
easily covered, and so on...")

Antonio