BetterC Is Not Ready

Adam D Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 00:07:34 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 2 June 2022 at 23:01:11 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> 1. Smaller exe files
> 2. Faster link times
> 3. Ideally I want to remove a lot of my dependence on the C
> runtime and substitute my own because its quality varies wildly
> from implementation to implementation. It's hard to do that in
> across the app when I'm still using druntime.
> 4. It's a game, and if it's at all successful I don't look
> forward to having to port druntime to Playstation's OS.

All this is more realistically achieved with a minimal custom
druntime, which betterC forbids!

Of course, ideally, the standard runtime would be a bit more
modular and stuff you don't need easy to drop. But failing that,
the next best thing is a custom runtime.

betterC is just marketing nonsense (aside from MAYBE being a
common baseline for runtime-agnostic libraries) without much
practical benefit.