what is/could be D's killer app/features?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 17:31:37 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 4 June 2022 at 17:06:39 UTC, mee6 wrote:
> If D syntax alone was a "killer feature", it would sell itself
> and would just be more popular than it is. Unfortunately D
> syntax would only appeal to people that use C++ but still
> people just use C++ instead.

There are many languages that are close to D syntactically
besides C++: Java, C#, Go, Php, even TypeScript…

Unfortunately, there are other bits missing atm that is a likely
turn-off for C++-minded people (like a marketable memory
management solution), but those are fortunately being worked on,
or at least discussed with an open mindset.

I think many C++ programmers would want a higher level clean
looking language with a comparable memory management story. D is
fairly close, but the last mile is missing.