Do you think if statement as expression would be nice to have in D?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jun 7 06:22:00 UTC 2022

On 6/6/2022 9:53 PM, bauss wrote:
> Typically the difference is in the milliseconds, which won't matter much for
> most enterprise work.

Thanks for the kind words! A few years ago, one person posted here that clang
invented data flow analysis and I should add it to dmd. I replied with a link to
the data flow analysis code in dmd, that was written in 1985 or so :-)

Math is math, and DFA hasn't changed much in the last 40 years.

One amusing thing about it is when my compiler acquired DFA, there was a C
compiler benchmark roundup in one of the computer magazines. The results were
thrown out for my compiler, as the journalist concluded it had a bug in it where
it deleted the test suite code. He wrote lots of bad things as a result.

What actually happened was the DFA deduced that the magazine's benchmark code
did not use the result, so threw it away.

The result of that article, though, destroyed my sales for a quarter or so. Then
other compilers added DFA, and the benchmark code got fixed for the next
compiler roundup.

Sigh.