Do you think if statement as expression would be nice to have in D?

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 21:16:22 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 7 June 2022 at 18:28:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I thought I fixed the SIMD issues you were having? What is left
> undone?

I checked and my issues have been fixed indeed, thanks for that.
Because it's an ongoing process, I'll come back later with a new
set of Issues.

The current status:

- The usage of D_SIMD and core.simd is not yet enabled in
intel-intrinsics with DMD because it disrupts Core and PR, so
until now I've been doing it in several attempts to test the
water and not distract too much people. But it will enabled be
next time probably, probably in August.

- Once core.simd is enabled for good, D_SIMD usage can be ramped
up intel-intrinsics (currently, it is only SSE 1 instructions
that use the D_SIMD _builtins_).
   I expect doing it for all other SIMD instructions will take a
few months of spare work, and will expose about 4-5 new bugs and
that will be it. If DMD test suite follows it should be hopefully
set in stone. wishful.gif

   Until now, most of the issues came from regular vector types
usage, not really D_SIMD builtins so I expect that last part to
be less contentious.

I'm curious how close we can get to optimized LDC codegen with
DMD codegen in an entirely SIMD codebase, it will be somewhere
between 0.5x and 1.0x. In small godbolt examples it can get
pretty close.