Why I love D: function parameter reification

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Wed Jun 8 23:06:52 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jun 08, 2022 at 10:02:01PM +0000, forkit via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8 June 2022 at 21:47:16 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >

> as I recall, it was *your* post about "Using closure in function scope
> to make "real" private class members" that started this whole thing.
>
> ;-)
>
> Sadly, this idea is *always* responded to, by others, in a typical
> passive/aggressive manner (which is what causes all the controversy):
>
> https://medium.com/the-mission/5-tactics-used-by-passive-aggressive-arguers-and-the-best-forms-of-defense-42a9348b60ed

LOL... I've been around here since 2011, it's obvious that certain
personages are around for the sole purpose of stirring up the mud.
Others are good faith complainants who have been struggling with
long-term unresolved issues (sometimes I'm among them).  Put these two
together, and this is what you get. :-/

If one tries hard enough, one can always find *something* to complain
about. For example, in the code I posted in this thread, there's that
is(... : __parameters) construct which has some, shall we say, quirky,
behaviours, about which I wrote years ago:

	https://forum.dlang.org/thread/vpjpqfiqxkmeavtxhyla@forum.dlang.org

If you really wanted to, that thread could be the basis of another
interminable complaint thread about is(...).  Instead, I found something
to like about it, which is the whole point of *this* thread.  What can I
say? It's one of those glass-half-full vs. glass-half-empty scenarios.
It speaks more about the person(s) than about the D language itself. :-D

Life would be easier if I had the source code. -- YHL