Why is D unpopular?

harakim harakim at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 02:11:44 UTC 2022

On Monday, 30 May 2022 at 03:41:24 UTC, Ali wrote:
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/axslxubumvtrudpjfpng@forum.dlang.org
>
> I think its really bad, that this is the most active topic on
> the forum
>

> use a better forum sotware and moderate
> and when topics like this get too active just close the thread
> and archive it
>
> D have a small community
> these topics really drain the energy of the D community
>
> If a new forum is not an option (which i think it isnt)
> maybe let the forum run dry (i.e. dont reply, at least not to
> threads like this one),
> and switch to discord or slack

If there were another venue to have this discussion, then I think
the forum wouldn't have 90 page long discussions about it. If
people had some way they felt they could contribute to a future
they want, most of them would not complain about it. Honestly, I
feel like maybe it's time to fork dlang and make a more stable
language so people can have the future they want with
easy-to-find quality libraries, good documentation and proper
development tools.

Otherwise, if the community does not want to fragment into the
feature hunters and the permanent settlement types, we could have
a constitutional convention of sorts and decide what the problems
are, what the solutions are and organize into teams to work on
them. I don't even think it would be that hard to make 80 of the
90 pages of that thread obsolete.

I raised sheep and when you're on a smaller pasture, it's much
easier to create an environment where the sheep go where you
want, do what you want and want to come to you to be sheared,
etc. It's the same with people. You can say "I'm going to shut
down all dissent" and that will work, but it will be so much more
work than giving people the tools to solve their own problems.