Using closure in function scope to make "real" private class members

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 04:52:13 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 9 June 2022 at 01:54:22 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 June 2022 at 01:04:26 UTC, forkit wrote:
> You've said enough about this topic in this thread and others
> that you could have written a DIP by now. And both of us are
> repeating the same points over and over, so I'm done with it.

Just create a separate forum fo discussing new features right
under «General».

forkit has to engage with other users to convince them, and to
find a solution that msny can agree on, no point in writing a DIP
if nobody on the core team wants to be a sponsor. So he first
needs a large group of people to agree, then they need to find
someone on the core team to sponsor it.

This is how it ought to work.

The real problem is lack if focus, e.g. the memory management
issue that has cost D the loss of so much talent is still at the
experimental stage and is digging itself into a usability
nightmare that only a tiny core of die hard fans would use. Yet
it should have been known over a decade ago, if a the process was
reasonable this would have been completed before Rust hit 1.0.

What forkit asks for isn’t unreasonable, the syntax was
unreasonable.

Since D seems to have gotten onto a track where usability is
increasingly ignored then it is better to have no change.

The process ought to be:

Need -> usability requirements -> design...

Instead it is:

Need -> fancy idea -> 70% implementation -> usability issues ->
justified whining.

Or people writing really poorly thought out DIPs because they
have no background or education that could make them good
language designers. Most DIPs should not have been written. You
need to engage with others to write a half decent DIP. How many
good DIPs can you point to? One or two? Certainly not three!!!

So the best D can do is stop adding stuff and just fix flaws
until people start believing that the core team takes an interest
in shipping completed polished solutions.

Then D can add forkit’s suggested idea.