Why is D unpopular?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Fri Jun 10 23:41:58 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 11:13:22PM +0000, monkyyy via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 10 June 2022 at 20:59:38 UTC, mw wrote:
> > I still feel puzzled:
> >
> > D is supposed to be a better OO language (read: encapsulation,
> > separation of concerns), and DMD is developed by a number of highly
> > capable very experienced D developers (read: not ordinary
> > programmers), how come DMD is in such a terrible state as if it's
> > done by some average Joel (above)?
> >
> > No offense, I am just puzzled by this software engineering myth.
>
> Its a above average compiler, its just that the average languge on a
> scale to 1-10 is maybe 2

Wow, you're optimistic.  After having worked with "enterprise" code for
the last how-many decades, I would rate 99% of non-trivial codebases out
there somewhere between 0 to 1 on a scale of 1-10.

If you think dmd is bad, wait till you see the code of an "enterprise"
compiler for an "enterprise" language. I guarantee you, you will need
therapy afterwards. :-P  To this day I still suffer PTSD from having
once attempted to read glibc source code...

Give a man a fish, and he eats once. Teach a man to fish, and he will sit forever.