Why is D unpopular?

mw mingwu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 23:53:56 UTC 2022

> The answer is very simple: historical baggage.

OK, that explains.

On Friday, 10 June 2022 at 23:09:57 UTC, monkyyy wrote:
> On Friday, 10 June 2022 at 22:44:25 UTC, forkit wrote:
>
> Betterc++

Yeah, that's what I mean, better than C++, that's where D get
started.

And I guess D's module stuff coming from Java's package idea: all
the classes/files in the same directory are supposed to be
closely related, so the access control (private/protected) is
relaxed. IIRC, Walter also produced a Java compiler in the early
Java 1.0 days before he started D.

Sometimes, completely rewrite is the only way to solve the
problem. I know one of the mega cap tech company completely
rewrite their whole infrastructure at least 3 times. Each time
with the lesson learned from the previous version.

But, given D’s small community size, not sure if this is feasible.

Just wondering if someone want to start from scratch writing a
completely new D front-end.