dip1000 and preview in combine to cause extra safety errors

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Fri Jun 10 23:59:48 UTC 2022

On 6/10/22 05:07, Walter Bright wrote:

>> hence the compiler should do the wrong and lazy thing implicitly by
>> default. This just makes no sense. What's the big harm in annoying
>> lazy people slightly more? It's not like they won't complain loudly
>> about `@safe` by default in any case.
>
> I'm the recipient of all the complaints that I'm breaking their existing
> code.
> ..

I am aware. But if that's your concern it kills the DIP on its own. If
anything, you'll receive more complaints with the broken behavior,
because then nobody is happy, not even @safe-by-default advocates.

>  > May as well do it right or not at all.
>
> This entire thread is what happens with "not at all".

Well, I contest that. It's not even closely related. This is an issue
concerning `@system` code. What's the default has not much at all to do
with it.