Why is D unpopular?

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 00:37:17 UTC 2022

On Friday, 10 June 2022 at 23:36:48 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> The only pertinent difference, really, is the size of the unit
> of encapsulation in which this is permitted to happen.  For any
> non-trivial code to work at all, it has to interact with other
> code *somehow*. One part of the program has to share data with
> another part of the program, otherwise it might as well do
> nothing at all.

People can interact, and nothing need to get mutated.

If they're all stubborn in their views, then it's likely nothing
can be mutated anyway. In this case, interaction and mutation are
mutually exclusive.

In the same way, I want to protecting my class from mutation
(making it stubborn to being mutated by the outside world). My
class will decide when to mutate, and when not to mutate. My
module should not force mutation on me.