Why is D unpopular

Max Samukha maxsamukha at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 14:09:54 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 11 June 2022 at 13:39:01 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> The term OOP usually just implies inheritance of some sort and
> polymorphism of some sort. If you mean something more specific
> you have to spell it out...

I hate to quote Alan Kay again
(http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~ram/pub/pub_jf47ht81Ht/doc_kay_oop_en):

"OOP to me means only messaging, local retention and protection
and
hiding of state-process, and extreme late-binding of all things.
It
can be done in Smalltalk and in LISP. There are possibly other
systems in which this is possible, but I'm not aware of them."

"local retention and protection and hiding of state-process" is
encapsulation. I don't know how to think about OOP without it.
Objects must protect their state from unconstrained mutation.
Otherwise, the concept of OOP becomes meaningless.