Why are some types from std not in the core of the language?

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 13:40:16 UTC 2022

On Friday, 10 June 2022 at 01:08:02 UTC, mesni wrote:
> D has AA and arrays built into the language and runtime. But
> why are sumtype, arrays/smart pointers using custom allocators,
> nullable, tuple at the expense of std? Everything listed in
> this article https://dlang.org/articles/builtin.html applies to
> them. I think this can be done as something like an optional
> extension in the compiler.

That's one of the reason i'm more and more using Zig these days

I don't have to import some random bullshit to have tagged union
with pattern matching

They'll also have a language server built into the compiler as
well as binary patching (meanwhile nobody merge PRs in DCD, and
it ends up being a rotten software that is CRUCIAL to D adoption)

D is a superior language, BY FAR, but these little things are
what makes the difference when you just want to appreciate a
language without people telling you to import std.sumtype to have
tagged union

Two different mindset, at the end, i pick what's make me the less
annoyed in the long run, and that's zig's tagged union

Really we need to wake up and make D better

C# will have NativeAOT in the next major version btw!

Our competitive features are becoming the norm, and we are
failing behind in many other crucial areas