Why is D unpopular

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 14:56:53 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 12 June 2022 at 14:05:00 UTC, Max Samukha wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 June 2022 at 11:47:53 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> Hi, Mike! Congratulations on being the first unsurprised D
> user! (You were actually surprised for a moment, weren't you?)

No. Nor was I surprised, for example, when I learned that in
Python all members are public, or that `protected` in C# is more
restrictive than `protected` in Java.

Every language has a similar approach as other languages to some
things, a different approach to others. I've investigated enough
programming languages that I learned long ago to be open to the
differences and never to expect that just because something is
true in Language A that it will be true for a similar feature in
Language B.

I often have reactions of "neat" or "cool", or "too bad" or "that
sucks", but I can't say I'm ever really surprised when learning
about features the first time. You have to learn to think in the
language you're using if you want to be productive with it, and
that means accepting the differences. You may find some things
grate on your nerves because they don't square with your view of
the world, in which case you either push to change them, accept
them, or, if it's too much to handle, move on to a language that
better fits your mental model. The latter is why I never stuck
with C++.

When I first learned about D's private-to-the-module approach, it
made perfect sense to me. It fits right in with D's concept of
modules.

I have been surprised occasionally, though, when I was certain a
feature worked a certain way, but I learned later my
understanding was wrong. There were a couple of those instances
when I was writing Learning D, but I can't for the life of me
remember what they were.