Why is D unpopular

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 18:37:17 UTC 2022

On Monday, 13 June 2022 at 17:08:55 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> Then I thought more about what encapsulation actually means.
> Then I realized encapsulation has nothing to do with access
> control.

How did you reach that conclusion?

There are at least two important aspects of encapsulation in
components: information hiding and access control.

*Information hiding* has to do with preventing the user from
making assumptions about how something works beyond what is
documented.

*Access control* has to do with reducing the number of failure
points that has to be inspected in more complex software.

The latter aspect is quite important in complicated low level
scenarios, like performance oriented concurrency code, as well as
complex setting with many moving parts at any level (also at the
cloud level).

In Python the latter is not so critical as you typically don't
care too much about performance or concurrency and have many
opportunities to avoid complexity.

Maybe the typical usage of D falls somewhere between Python and
C++. Whether something is ok or not depends on the use case…

The key question is: what usage scenario is D trying to be best
for? Answer that, then we can discuss concrete features. Without
an answer to that question discussions will either be personal or
abstract.