dip1000 and preview in combine to cause extra safety errors

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 09:26:46 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 00:16:37 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 14.06.22 00:53, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 6/9/2022 5:44 AM, John Colvin wrote:
>>> That is their fault
>>
>> If the language encourages it, it's the language's fault.
>
> Exactly. You have literally been arguing in favor of the
> language doing this exact faulty thing _implicitly by default_.
> _That's_ what encouragement looks like.

I am normally on team “Walter’s been around the block a few
times, he knows what’s up”, but this one just makes no sense at
all.

I am working at what is presumably the largest employer of D
programmers in the world, I was one of the very first using D
there & I just can’t imagine us ever blaming you for encouraging
us to blindly slap trusted on C bindings when the alternative was
the compiler doing it implicitly!