Adding a new design constraint to D

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 10:54:17 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 10:26:09 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:

> The main cost is the opportunity cost [1]. Any effort we spend
> implementing, documenting, debugging, and teaching
> 'private(scope)' reduces the amount of effort we can spend on
> other things. Likewise, any effort new users learning D have to
> spend on learning 'private(scope)' reduces the amount of effort
> they can spend learning other parts of the language (or, for
> that matter, using D to solve their problems).

you mean, like @mustuse ;-)

a 'new' feature that I'll likely *never* have a need to use btw.

> So the relevant questions here are:
>
> 1. Among all of the possible improvements we could make to D,
> is this particular one the *best* use of our limited resources,
> as a community?

You mean limited people working on the compiler?

So if I paid someone to cover all the work associated with this,
you'd be ok with it?

> 2. Among all of the additional language features we could ask
> new users of D to learn, will this particular one give them the
> *most* benefit for their effort?
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

again, I can come back to @mustuse ;-)

I can assure you, there is far more cognitive effort involved in
understanding @mustuse, than there is for understanding the
difference between 'private' and private(scope)'. For those of us
who can already declare scope private, the cognitivie effort is..
0.000000000000000000000001% of the cognitive effort needed to
understand @mustuse.