Why is D unpopular

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 11:15:41 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 10:47:36 UTC, bauss wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 10:29:14 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>>
>> Once you submit it and it's had enough time in Draft Review
>> that you're satisfied with it, I'll even give it priority over
>> any other DIPs in the queue.
>
> Personally I would do it, but I unfortunately do not have
> enough time on my hands that I could even do that and I do
> believe it would be the right way to do it instead of these
> long discussions about it here in the forum.
>
> If anyone is willing to do it, then I for sure wouldn't mind
> helping but I don't have enough time to write a whole DIP by
> myself.

I don't agree.

As someone who has observed politics for a long time, I can tell
you, that things come about as a result of discussion, and not
becasue someone has brought a new policy to the floor.

You bring the policy to the floor, when you have a reasonable
understanding of the likelihood of success of that policy getting
passed, and you cannot determine that except by having the
discussions first.

Of course discussions continue to take place once a policy is
brought to the floor.

The other likely outcome here, is that many are keeping silent
and will not 'come out' unless or until a DIP is produced, and
then they will feel forced to come out - either to express the
rejection or acceptance of the idea.

I think there is a signficant silent majority here, and it makes
it difficult to assess whether it's worth the effort of doing a
DIP.

What does seem clear, is that core reject this idea outright.

In which case, if a majority wanted it, what would core do?

Would we see another phobos-tango situation arise?

There is also the question of Swift, which for me, has this
feature already, as you'd expect, and also provides many, perhaps
even most, of the features that attracted me to D.

So where i spend my effort, is also a consideration ;-)