Adding a new design constraint to D

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 00:02:41 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 15 June 2022 at 11:16:42 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 June 2022 at 11:06:45 UTC, forkit wrote:
>> I'm now enjoying using Swift way more than D.
>>
>> So that's it for me.
>
> I guarantee you'll be back within the month, the D forums are
> addictive. Even Chris has not escaped. Paulo is still here.
> Only bearophile is running free.

I'm back! But not for long ;-)

Just want to mention this, as it's seem pretty relevant:

So I found this discussion from 2003! That's (at least) how long
this has been going on.

It will continue to go on of course, because there is no right or
wrong way here.

The only genuine solution to this problem is providing 'a choice'
that the programmer can make.

Sean L. Palmer : "I find that it's one of the biggest pains in
programming, deciding what to make private, what to encapsulate,
what to expose."

Ken Carpenter : "If you want something to be made accessible to
others, then is it really so hard to type "public"?

Both perspective seem reasonable to me.

Walters response is interesting, and (of course) it still hasn't
changed - i.e. -> basically (paraphrased) 'if you want to program
in D, you gotta do it my way'.

In the end though, the controversy continues, not because of Sean
or Ken's position, but because Walter is just too stubborn to
compromise so that both Sean and Ken can both do what they think
is best for their design.

In a compromise, nobody loses.

The problem here is not Sean's or Ken's view/perspective.

The problem is Walter. (and those that support his view of -> 'NO
COMPROMISE!'

https://forum.dlang.org/post/b186be$udr$1@digitaldaemon.com