Adding a new design constraint to D

Olivier Pisano olivier.pisano at laposte.net
Thu Jun 16 08:51:26 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 16 June 2022 at 00:02:41 UTC, forkit wrote:

> So I found this discussion from 2003! That's (at least) how
> long this has been going on.
>
> It will continue to go on of course, because there is no right
> or wrong way here.

Yes, every once in a while we get such discussions when someone
finds out that D doesn't work exactly like [insert one's favorite
language here] and pretends that is THE cause of the lack of
popularity of D.

Or that we absolutely need a new syntax for an existing feature
to match the new language du jour, like when Go introduced the :=
operator. We were told that we HAD to add it too, back then, to
avoid typing 'auto'.

If you really want to add a new visibility level to D, you'll
have to write a DIP and convince the community that the existing
four are not enough. Pretending that you'll be leaving for
[whatever language better fits your needs] may only indicate that
you don't care.