Adding a new design constraint to D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 11:31:48 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 16 June 2022 at 11:26:23 UTC, forkit wrote:
> The only real question on peoples mind, should be ->  if we
> allow a class to have private members (to the class), how will
> this fit in and affect the rest of the language (technically).
>
> at this stage, not a single person has bothered to even make an
> attempt to explore an answer to this question.

I think I have, but I can do it again:

Since D has meta programming capabilities it can affect meta
programming code that makes assumptions about access control
modes being fixed to the existing set.

As such it will be a breaking change, but will probably not break
most programs.

(Basically all changes that go beyond syntax sugar are breaking
changes in D.)