Adding a new design constraint to D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 13:33:06 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 16 June 2022 at 13:15:52 UTC, bauss wrote:
> On Thursday, 16 June 2022 at 13:02:11 UTC, Chris Katko wrote:
>> On Thursday, 16 June 2022 at 12:08:27 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
>> wrote:
>>> If you can detect it, then it is a breaking change in the
>>> context of meta-programming.
>>>

>> Isn't that like saying: adding a uint128 type breaks the
>> language. Because you can detect it?
>
> It is and I think it's far from a solid argument against
> anything.

Actually, on second thoughts, it would not be a breaking change
as it is listed in the language spec:

https://dlang.org/spec/type.html

I guess one could say that the compilers are not compliant,
unless I missed a footnote somewhere.

Basically, whether it is a breaking change or not, depends on the
wording of the language spec (if you have one). If it says that
you should not assume this or that, then it is not a breaking
change even if people do assume this or that (because the code
they wrote was outside the spec and could be considered undefined
behaviour).