What I like most AND what I don't like most - about D

harakim harakim at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 23:29:50 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 12 June 2022 at 01:48:43 UTC, forkit wrote:
> So this thread is designed to bring some balance, between being
> negative about D, and being positive about D.
>
> To participate, you must (should, since I cannot 'enforce'
> this) post two things:
>
> (1) What I like most about D:
>
> (2) What I dislike most about D:

Like:
  Optional memory management, ability to use examples for
SDL/OpenGL/etc that were written for C (m/l seamless C
integration), compile time features, arrays and associative
arrays are very natural unlike in other languages. I actually
REALLY like immutable transitivity and stuff like that being
options. When I write D code, it's almost always very clean. It
feels like C programming, but it's a better C by a long shot.

Dislike:
  Sometimes people paste code on the forum and I can't understand
what it does. Then some people respond with a bunch of acronyms I
don't know what they are so I still don't know.
  My previous projects never compile when I come back
  Immutable transitivity is required so sometimes I just want to
write some code and all of the sudden I'm having to figure out
what all these extra requirements are.