Adding a new design constraint to D

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 02:58:50 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 16 June 2022 at 23:02:05 UTC, forkit wrote:
> On Thursday, 16 June 2022 at 11:45:11 UTC, Olivier Pisano wrote:
>>
>> ..
>> I am suggesting you write a DIP, so you can come with an
>> evaluation of this cost, since you are the one asking for it.
>
> To be honest, any DIP that only has one name written on it, is
> a red flag to me.
>
> The point of discussing this first, is not replace the DIP
> process, but to enhance the quality of it, so it can be
> considered on merits, and not all the silly arguments that
> always arise when scope privacy is raised.

The point of the DIP process is to enhance the proposal. Almost
every DIP starts as a result of forum discussions. All the
discussion you've done so far, for example, surely has provided
enough material for an initial draft. When you're drafting the
DIP, you can come to the forums, give a link to the draft in your
DIP repository fork, and discuss the topic further refine your
arguments, take suggestions, etc.

Once you submit the draft, the DIP is in Draft Review while it's
in the PR queue. People can come in and leave comments, and you
can discuss and debate the proposal to improve it. The Community
Review round(s) then serve to further refine it. The Final Review
is one last chance to look for major flaws, then it's sent off to
Walter and Atila for assessment.

Multiple people contribute to every DIP, no matter how many
people actually have their name in the author field.