Adding a new design constraint to D

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 08:04:55 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 18 June 2022 at 07:53:52 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Saturday, 18 June 2022 at 07:46:27 UTC, FeepingCreature
> wrote:
>> D is not built around a class-based OOP paradigm. D includes
>> class OOP as one paradigm
>
> It is breaks with the conventions for «class private». Most, if
> not all, class-based languages have OOP as a feature and not a
> paradigm. The inventors stressed that OOP was not a paradigm.

I mean, I think it's important in this case because aiui
`private` is ignored in modules because modules are the more
central unit of abstraction than classes; a function in a module
is "on the same level" as a method in the class. So in that
specific sense, it's more correct to call D a module-based
language than a class-based one.

Aside: that's actually important if you consider that certain
features do not work with class methods!