Adding a new design constraint to D

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 06:22:57 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 19 June 2022 at 02:39:52 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:

> If you are willing to bite the bullet here and say that CLOS is
> "not OOP" because it lacks encapsulation, then fair enough, but
> at that point I think you must admit that your idea of what
> counts as OOP is not shared by most developers (including Alan
> Kay himself, who cited Lisp as an example of OOP done right).

I know nothing of CLOS.

A quick read of CLOS wiki, and it seems you can turn a ceramic
aardvark into a graceful Old World ruminant, at runtime!

That doesn't sound like my understanding of the open/closed
principle, which is what most of us (I guess) would associate
with OOP.

i.e.

"Software entities (classes, modules, functions, etc.) Should be
open for extension, but closed for modification."