Adding a new design constraint to D

Max Samukha maxsamukha at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 07:07:07 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 18 June 2022 at 21:17:52 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> Not even Andrei agreed with me. Not a single person that I
> recall.
>
> Anytime one interfaces with humans, inconsistency turns out to
> be desirable.
>
> Here's another inconsistency:
>
>   void func()
>   {
>       int a;
>       {
>          int a;  // error
>       }
>    }

It seems we are talking about different kinds of inconsistency. I
am talking about logical inconsistencies (contradictions) in the
rules, e.g. 'invariant/synchronized' imply class-level
encapsulation while the encapsulation is enforced with 'private',
which is module-level. The special shadowing rules do not seem to
introduce any logical inconsistencies. Also, there is already one
human in this thread who is claiming they are annoying.))