Adding a new design constraint to D

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 08:29:28 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 19 June 2022 at 08:13:54 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Sunday, 19 June 2022 at 07:06:21 UTC, forkit wrote:

>>> so is 20+ years of doing it ;-)
>>
>> also, by view of OOP, is that any principles you apply to it,
>> confirm with principles in the real world.
>>
>> e.g. you cannot turn a cat into a mouse.
>>
>> although having said that, they're both made of molecules,
>> that are made of atoms.
>>
>> so you can turn atoms, into molecules, and molecules into a
>> cat, or a mouse.
>>
>> but as long as the cat is a cat, it's a cat, not a mouse.
>
> Last time I checked, Common Lisp, JavaScript and ML derived
> languages like Objective Caml are still real world, used at
> places like Google and Facebook.
>
> But I digress...

well, in the real world, a cat 'could' turn into mouse.

but only once all the molecules have dissipated (from death).

but whether those atoms will from new molecules, that create a
mouse, nobody knows.

therefore, I cannot see why CLOS allows you to turn a cat into a
mouse.

I can only surmise, that CLOS programmers like playing god ;-)

"playing god" != "OOP"

.. but i digress too ...