ImportC shows the way to D3?

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 08:41:18 UTC 2022

On Monday, 20 June 2022 at 08:26:35 UTC, IGotD- wrote:

> ..
> I think you come with a good suggestion and we need D3 as a
> more disruptive platform in order move the language forward.
> What you suggest is similar to C++ with version switches (ex.
> -std=c++20).
>
> I suggest an alternative approach than with the DIPs we have
> today. With D3 we have a lower threshold what we can add.
> Depending on how successful a new feature is, the feature can
> be considered to be migrated to D2 so we can have a "migration
> DIP".
>
> Right now the project is stale which is understandable as D2
> should be somewhat stable. We need D3.

+1

Finally, a vision of how to move D in the forward direction!

Personally ;-) .. for D3, I'd start the 'breaking changes' by
ensuring the language provides support for a proper class type
(rather that Walter's interpretation of it), and, one that can be
checked by the compiler.

i.e private means private!

Add an internal or something, so the default in a compilation
unit (a module) is internal. You get the same thing as you
currently have. Just make sure you have the option to declare a
member private, and override that default.

I'd also set up a new offical organisational mandate, to ensure
nobody, not even Walter, can arbitrarily add something to the
language or the compiler, on a whim. Anyone that fails to comply,
is booted out!

Then, and only then, will I consider using D again.