`restricted` member variables

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Tue Jun 21 12:51:50 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 21 June 2022 at 12:33:13 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Tuesday, 21 June 2022 at 11:06:17 UTC, bauss wrote:
>> D will do anything to not have class private.
>
> To the contrary, it doesn't have that today and is doing
> nothing.
>
> If you want it to do something, you need to justify that it is
> worth doing.
>
> So far, all we got is "This is mandatory as per my definition
> of OOP", which is not a convincing argument.
>
> This is especially not convincing because many people here have
> been using D for many years, and most of them had a "hu, that's
> weird" moment when they figured out how private was working.
> And then figured out that the current behavior is actually much
> more useful in practice.

Like I've mentioned before I have no problem with module private,
I just think it would be a nice-to-have.

It's not a deal breaker for me that D doesn't have it, but I do
see the value in it.

So far I've been doing fine the past decade without and I reckon
I will be doing fine regardless of whether it is added.