`restricted` member variables

claptrap clap at trap.com
Wed Jun 22 08:00:41 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 21 June 2022 at 12:53:06 UTC, Max Samukha wrote:
> On Tuesday, 21 June 2022 at 12:33:13 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>

>> This is especially not convincing because many people here
>> have been using D for many years, and most of them had a "hu,
>> that's weird" moment when they figured out how private was
>> working. And then figured out that the current behavior is
>> actually much more useful in practice.
>
> You don't have any data to substantiate "much more useful", do
> you?

Lets be honest there's no data that adding "class private" would
prevent bugs or cure cancer. Just a couple of people waving their
arms because somebody told them the world aint flat like the good
book of OO told them and now they cant cope.

The nearest thing to data we have is that the vast majority of
experienced D users dont give two hoots about it and the only
people who do get upset are the occasional newbie every 6 months
or so.

Maybe go through github / bugzilla whatever, find some **real**
examples of bugs it would have prevented. I think you'll have a
tough time, because if it did help prevent bugs more people would
be like "oh yeah that would be really useful".