`restricted` member variables

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 01:06:34 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 23 June 2022 at 00:48:13 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:

> This is why people are asking for concrete examples, and are
> not satisfied with theoretical justifications alone. They don't
> just want to hear that private(this) *could* be useful; they
> want to be convinced that it *will* be useful, in practice.

I have of course cited numerous papers on this, should anyone
'actually' be interested in learning about it.

Anyone that uses abstract data types, should know, already, of
the advantage of keeping that types representation 'private'.

I should not need to provide evidence for this. Do you know how
silly that sounds?

'private(this)' in D, will finally provide the ability to do just
that.

Of course, if you genuiely believe, that every abstact data type
should go in it own module, then the is zero benefit from
private(this).

Also, if you genuiely believe that programmers do not make
mistakes, then there is zero benefit from private(this).

btw. The idea of private(this) does not take priority over more
pressing issues in D.

That is a red-herring argument.

If it gets in, it's because someone chose to 'volunteer' their
own time, to put it in.