Java Spring vs. D Vibe.d basic web performance

James Blachly james.blachly at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 03:00:55 UTC 2022

On Friday, 17 June 2022 at 21:37:52 UTC, Vijay Nayar wrote:
> When compiling in release mode, both DMD and LDC have about 80%
> to 100% higher performance than Java. The DMD and LDC versions
> also run in significantly less RAM than Java as well (about a
> 95% reduction in both resident and virtual memory).

Great data Vijay, thanks! Benchmarks are always nice to have.

> The final fascinating observation is this: despite the longer
> initial compilation times when compiling in release mode, both
> DMD and LDC have faster iterative compilations in release mode
> than even debug mode. My suspicion is that the smaller file
> sizes that result from compiling in release mode result in
> overall faster incremental compilation. It makes me wonder if
> larger companies could benefit strongly from even doing release
> mode compilation, but keeping compiled artifacts in a shared
> server, following a model similar to what
> [Bazel](https://bazel.build/) can offer.

Certainly could work, but we'd need far better tooling.
Too, most compilations are sure to be in debug mode, and already
fast. Release compilations are relatively rare-er and if it takes
longer, no big deal? I guess I'm not working on projects big
enough that it matters -- our release builds still complete in
under 60 sec.