`restricted` member variables

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 10:52:56 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 23 June 2022 at 10:29:46 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 June 2022 at 10:18:29 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>> So there is a point at wish adding that expressivness is
>> counter productive, it is at the point when the value of the
>> extra things that you can express is lower than the cost
>> incurred by implementing the change required for that extra
>> expressivness to be possible.
>
> Yes, there is a cost if the syntax is messed up or if there is
> a breaking change.
>
> The cost for adding the feature is higher now than if one at a
> later stage choose to clean up the syntax (and thus get a
> breaking change anyway). So it probably should wait for a more
> general syntax cleanup.

D is already paying a big price, IMO.

If I look at the languages available, and the features they have
that would enable me to do better software engineering, D would
not even be on the list!

Swift would likely be no.1 - the 'choices' they offer to the
programmer, are just superb!

I still think C++ got it right. I just wish they had GC, cause i
got better things to do than worry about that crap these days. I
actually like the C++ friends feature (although it's subject to
misuse, like any feature really).

C# certainly high on the list.

But D.. nowhere to be found, in that list. Maybe on someother
list.