Civility

Don Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 18:02:13 UTC 2022

I've been bothered by the tone of some of the messages in this
forum recently, particularly in the "Why isn't D more popular?"
threads.

Certainly D, like every other language, isn't perfect. I think it
is fine to make suggestions about how it could be improved. I've
done it myself recently. But given the extraordinary amount of
hard work and skill that has gone into producing the software as
it is today, combined with the fact that D is given to us without
cost, reinforces our obligation to conduct these discussions in a
civil manner.

I readily concede that I am a newcomer to the D community and I
sense that there may be some scar tissue from a past with which I
am not familiar. But what I see is a language and supporting
documentation, tools and libraries that, however imperfect (join
the crowd!), are awfully good in my estimation. I recently
finished porting about 10,000 lines of C to D that, despite my
best efforts and long experience had become impossibly ugly and
hard to maintain. As someone recently observed in this forum, the
D code is far more readable and concise and the performance and
reliability (so far) are excellent. And the port was easy, mostly
taking the existing C and simplifying it, by taking advantage of
D's greater power.

So while I encourage all of you to submit your best ideas for D
improvement to this forum, I also suggest that you avoid getting
nasty or personal.

I'd also like to take a moment to address the "why isn't D more
popular" question. Popularity is not necessarily an indication of
merit. Windows still occupies something like 90% of the
desktops/laptops and while it has improved since Ballmer's exit,
I think it is a distant last among the operating systems
available for desktop computers and laptops. A lot of factors
contribute to popularity and I don't think they add up to a
meritocracy. As a lifelong amateur classical musician, this
reminds me of the music business, where extraordinary musicians
too frequently get overlooked by an unknowing public that is
easily seduced by extra-musical factors.