Exploring the philosophy of objects

Zoadian no at no.no
Fri Jun 24 13:48:35 UTC 2022

On Friday, 24 June 2022 at 00:45:11 UTC, forkit wrote:
> This is certainly not another thread about private to the class
> ;-)
>
> Please, don't try to make it into one.
>
> But I'd encourage everyone, to a least consider, exploring the
> nature of 'objects' from a purely 'philosophical' approach
> (i.e. outside of your programming interests).
>
> If it's not your thing, don't do it ;-)
>
> If you come to the conclusion, its complete nonsense, that is
> your right.
>
> For me, I have a particular understanding of objects (as many
> will now know).
>
> i.e. I have a firm view in the 'autonomous existence' of
> objects.
>
> It's the basis of my view, of the real world (nothing to do
> with programming).
>
> That understanding though, while completely separate from
> programming, is well intergrated into my approach towards
> programming, and I personally believe, my programming is better
> for it, nor worse.
>
> Here is something to get you started, on your journey:
>
> 'undermining, and overmining, objects'
>
> https://youtu.be/P6yWc7ccb7g
>
> There's also a great discussion about this, if you can get your
> hands on it ;-)
>
> The Object Strikes Back: An Interview with Graham Harman.
>
> https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.2752/175470813X13491105785703
>
> If you don't know who he is:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Harman

No disrespect, but this is a programming language forum, i'd
really appreciate if it stayed that way.

And to add something to the topic. objects are a great why to
think about things. they are, as it turned out, not they great in
programming.
OOP leads to slow, hard to reason about code. it encurages
mutable state, spread across the whole programm. it's essentially
global variables all over again, just hidden behind a layer of
obfuscation.
It also makes testing a lot harder to actually implement.
That being said, there are cases where it's ok to use, but imho
they are incredibly rare.

- Someone who works on hard realtime systems