Exploring the philosophy of objects

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 22:38:59 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 25 June 2022 at 18:05:31 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:

> Whether tables or objects are a better way of organizing data
> is a decades-old debate that I have no intention of wading into
> here. Regardless of which you prefer, you must admit that both
> tables and objects have a long history of successful use in
> real-world software.

When people see something as challenging their belief, they do
tend to dig in, and turn it into a lonnnnggg debate ;-)

But really, OO decompostion is just a tool. It's not an idealogy
(although many throughout computing history have pushed it as
such).

It's just a tool. That is all it is. Nothing more.

It's a tool you should have the option of using, when you think
it's needed.

A screw driver makes for a lousy hammer. Just pick the right tool
for the job.

If you're trying to model a virtual city, you'll almost have to
use object decomposition. I mean, it makes complete sense that
you would. Of course, you could model it using logic chips - but
why would you?

On the otherhand, if your writing a linker, it doesn't seem like
OO decomposition would have any value whatsoever.

People need to be more pragmatic about this. Programming
paradigms are just tools. They should not be used as the basis
for conducting idealogical warfare against each other ;-)