Civility

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Jun 29 10:30:59 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 29 June 2022 at 02:18:20 UTC, zjh wrote:

> If you want to say what `specific problems` D has, you can
> discuss them. If you say that D has problems, `D` has problems.
> This is not good.

We all know that D has numerous problems that render it unusable
(not minor quirks one can live with), and I won't reiterate them
here, you just need to browse around in the forum a little bit
and you'll see that the same issues keep coming up year after
year, and even the leadership has realized that "something is
rotten in the state of D" [1], Andrei only phrased it
differently: "a variety of decisions that did not withstand the
test of time". What a nice way of putting it. If you only
mentioned `autodecode` a few years ago, you'd be in for a
flamewar. Now it's the big revelation that it was a bad idea. If
Andrei describes how C++ finally came out of the "dark ages" and
suggests that this is the way forward for D, what else is this
but the acknowledgement that D is now in the same position as C++
was years ago? So don't ask me about "specific problems", if the
leadership itself compares D to C++ during its winter. It is also
an acknowledgement that the critics were right about many of D's
issues.

In my view, D is a weird mix of an 0.x language and C++. It has
loads of baggage and dead weight, just like C++, but breaking
changes and new features are introduced as if it was still below
1.0. So you get the worst of both: the clutter an old language
accumulates in the attic over the years and the instability and
unpredictability of a new language.

Why would I want to use it for any serious stuff?

[1] e.g.
- https://forum.dlang.org/thread/sl7l32$1umj$1@digitalmars.com
- https://forum.dlang.org/post/slnb0b$1edf$1@digitalmars.com