Raymond Chen's take on so-called zero cost exceptions

meta meta at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 08:20:32 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 1 March 2022 at 07:18:29 UTC, forkit wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 March 2022 at 07:08:24 UTC, meta wrote:
>> ... Nobody should wait for you to become comfortable to
>> improve things
>
> Lucky you are not my mechanic. Otherwise, you would have just
> lost a customer ;-)

It's ok, customers aren't eternal, we need to refresh the pool of
developers and attract new souls, whom find exception handling to
be a bad idea ;)

However we also need to retain existing ones

It's hard to balance the two, but the former is important, it
makes it so the product last when the creator is no longer here..
it's life

That's how my company still makes that mobile game as a service,
the same game, since the beginning of iPhones, still kicking
strong with new users, the game is totally different today than
what it was in the past.. totally worth it