Raymond Chen's take on so-called zero cost exceptions

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 20:22:42 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 1 March 2022 at 12:13:51 UTC, meta wrote:

> ... Also my use cases for D are system level softwares
> (graphics/audio engine, low level networking, automation)
>
> I should mention that I'm not asking for enforcing error
> handling to everyone, I just want to make sure I can live and
> keep programming by not having to use exceptions at all :)

but you can already do this (i.e. program by not having to use
exceptions at all).

dmd, for example, doesn't use exceptions (as per previous post
from Walter).

And it's in D.

I presume you're talking about exceptions in phobos?

I'm not sure how much of phobos was designed for such low-level
programming.

But in any case, it's all open-source, and can be modified (or
used to build your own libraries).

So there is nothing holding you back ;-)