companies actively using D (e.g. Mercedes Benz research)

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 22:35:00 UTC 2022

On 3/7/22 12:45, David wrote:

 > does Mercedes Benz Research

Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America is a subsidiary of
Mercedes-Benz AG.

We started using D in a joint project with Bosch for autonomous driving.
It is public information that now both companies pursue their autonomous
driving projects with different partners. We at Mercedes-Benz still use
and develop the same tools written in D. I can't know whether Bosch is
doing the same.

 > (heavily) rely on D?

C++ seems to be the predominant programming language used in autonomous
driving for various reasons: It is certified for safety critical
applications, there are commonly used matrix libraries, and autonomous
driving experts who are experienced in C++ are many. Python is another
major language and there is some interest in Rust within the developers.

Although tools written in D have been used daily at times by hundreds of
developers, I still can't say that we "rely heavily" on D. It's because
all existing tools could have been written in any other language with
various compromises.

I am fortunate and very happy to still develop in D and write programs
that are appreciated by our developers. :)

Ali