The problem that took him 5 years to fix in C++, I solved in a minute with D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 15:10:42 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 10 March 2022 at 14:50:31 UTC, matheus wrote:
> Like I said above, that guy on the video is well known on C++
> community and seeing him struggling with this feature made me
> wonder how a newcomer would feel?

C++ is not friendly to beginners, and never will be. That is a
well known fact.

>> Referencing other languages is only interesting if there is
>> something you want to learn from them.
>
> Oh, but there is something to learn here, that in this regard
> C++ is a lot painful compared to D.

Yes, D had the opportunity to learn from C++, yet there are more
improvements useful for meta-programming in C++ release by
release. So unless D starts to improve it is only a matter of
time until that advantage is lost.

> By the way let just remember the title of the video: "The
> `constexpr` Problem That Took Me 5 Years To Fix!"

constexpr is relatively new, not a done deal, and they improve on
it iteratively based on usage experience. The usage setting is
core to understanding language evolution. The evolution of C++ is
very conservative and that is intentional.