Questions on the new __traits(parameters)

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Thu Mar 10 22:54:30 UTC 2022

On 10.03.22 23:37, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

> On the other hand, opApply is pretty out of favor now, so maybe it's not
> going to be as bad of an effect.

Maybe not, but it's death by a thousand little cuts with those things. I
really dislike the stance of "let's document the wart, then it won't
technically be a bug". This has been pretty rampant. It's so much better
to have a known bug than to enshrine a known bad design in the spec...

> This really is one of those difficult
> to explain pieces to new users, and really difficult to get correct
> within generic code.

Yah. :( I can work around those issues, but they are rather embarrassing
to explain to new developers on a project who are not even PL geeks and
already a bit confused as to why D has been used in the first place.
("Why are you using D again if it can't get basic things like this
right?") I do use opApply pretty extensively to implement tree traversals.