The problem that took him 5 years to fix in C++, I solved in a minute with D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 20:00:22 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 20 March 2022 at 11:06:05 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> It is optimized (all vector, parallelized tiled, dirty
> rectangles, mipmapped) but ultimately if you really want 60fps
> it's better to use the "raw" layer on top to redraw.
> (typically: the background of a widget is in the PBR layer, and
> the curve and points on top are in the Raw layer and real-time
> updated. This caches the PBR layer output.).
> Saving CPU is always useful for general audio stability, so GUI
> bottlenecks are quite important.

Sounds nice, so it is all CPU and no GPU if I didn't misinterpret
what you wrote. Do you know if any other audio-plugins do this as
well? I always assumed they used pre-rendered images for fancy
widgets like knobs and sliders.

> All in all: more GUI work, less filesize, larger memory usage
> (about 60mb more per instance), a look that can look
> approximately realistic, and when doing the UI it can feel like
> sculpting.

Maybe this can be turned into a generic UI library for D? Or is
it more geared towards smaller user-interfaces like those
commonly found in audio-plugins?