Just an example, why D rocks, and C++ s***s...

Tejas notrealemail at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 13:36:47 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 20 March 2022 at 11:11:03 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Sunday, 20 March 2022 at 07:55:51 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>
>> The other thread bachmeier referenced was particularly
>> misleading for people who lack insight into how C++ is being
>> used and how it evolves. When people complain about having the
>> foundational underlying differences explained to them... you
>> have to wonder if they themselves are insecure about their own
>> choice, why would one otherwise care so much about C++? And
>> why would one complain about having practical productivity
>> concerns being expanded on?
>
> Nonsense. Someone created a thread titled "The problem that
> took him 5 years to fix in C++, I solved in a minute with D".
> Paulo Pinto, who may or may not have written a line of D code
> used in production at some point in the last 20 years,
> responded with this:
>
>> Well, a language alone doesn't make ecosystems, D is a good
>> language, but after 10 years doesn't hold a candle to CUDA,
>> Metal, Unreal, SYSCL, AUTOSAR/MISRA certifications,
>> iOS/Android/Windows SDK, High Energy Physics research,
>> PyTorch/Tensorflow, LLVM/GCC, ....
>
> Not only did he not respond to the post, he completely ignored
> it to talk about something unrelated. Then he later posted this:
>
>> D, well it has MIR and vibe.d, that is about it.
>
> That's obviously wrong, but ultimately he succeeded at his goal
> of changing the discussion. And he did it without even
> pretending to engage with the original post.

I think Paulo and others are responding to the underlying
statement that the OP was trying to say, that D is better than
C++ and <refer to compile time string example> this is why we
should prefer D over C++
(Atleast that's what I inferred)

They point out that feature superiority does not compensate for
the ecosystem fragility(I'm not saying this, that just seems to
be the sentiment echoed by them)

It's a little frustrating to read, but one can just gloss over if
they don't want a dose of negativity(or "reality", I guess).